The holiday season is here, and I’m excited.
It really is the most wonderful time of the year! It’s also the best time because it is gift giving season for my company. There are White Elephant gift exchanges, and those gifts are specially curated for our clients, employees, and partners.
Choosing corporate gifts is not about the size of your business at its core its about giving thoughtful and meaningful gifts to your clients, employees, business partners and other stakeholders. Gifting season is the perfect time to evaluate who you want to be thankful to and how you want to show your gratitude in a meaningful way. Corporate gifting is very different from personal gifting, and therefore, there are considerations that you have to make.
When choosing corporate gifts, there are many considerations, especially today, where you have to verify that a company is unproblematic, promotes sustainability, and, most importantly, that its values align with what your company represents.
Corporate gifting is more than a seasonal task or just grabbing a generic basket or stuffing a bunch of branded materials in a box and sending it. It's about fostering relationships and expressing gratitude, all while making a positive impact.
What is Corporate Gifting?
Corporate gifting is a strategic gesture to strengthen connections, build rapport, and express appreciation. More importantly, it is a fantastic way to honour motivated staff, manage your remote workforce, and connect with existing and potential clients, and share gratitude to various partners. The art of giving holds great importance in the corporate world and here are some statistics to prove it:
- Deloitte has reported that companies who invest in recognition programs are more effective at employee engagement, with 31% lower voluntary turnover, when compared to those who do not.
- 76% of employees prefer gifts they can share with either family or teams.
- More than half (52%) of gift recipients do business with a company after receiving a corporate gift.
Who Does It and Why?
Companies of all sizes engage in gifting. It’s a fantastic tool to acknowledge employees' hard work, express gratitude to loyal clients, and/or nurture partnerships with suppliers and collaborators. Business gifting is a universal practice to show appreciation, create lasting impressions, and solidify relationships. It can be done throughout the year but a popular time to do it is the holiday season.
A 2023 Giftpack Scaling Up Gifting report shows the reasons for gifting are as follows:
- Relationship management - 42%
- Celebration - 44%
- Employee engagement and retention - 44%
- Employee onboarding - 35%
- Employee rewards and recognition - 35%
- Trade shows and exhibitions - 26%
- Customer satisfaction - 16%
- Client onboarding - 19%
- Lead generation - 9%
- Holidays - 9%
- Sales enablement - 14%
- Surveys - 2%
- Brand & event promotion - 26%
Challenges Faced in Sustainable Gifting
While the intent behind gifting is clear, finding sustainable and meaningful gifts presents challenges. Balancing the desire to offer something unique, practical, and environmentally friendly can be daunting. It can take several hours of research and result in decision fatigue, leading to settling for something generic that doesn’t express the company's heart. Over the years, the challenge has been to source gifts that align with our values of sustainability without compromising on quality or relevance.
Corporate gifting matters because it speaks volumes about a company's values and appreciation for its stakeholders. It's an opportunity to make a positive impact, not just on the recipients but also on the environment and the community. Here are eight benefits of corporate gifting:
- Relationship Building: It helps foster and maintain relationships with clients, partners, and employees. Sending thoughtful gifts can strengthen connections and demonstrate appreciation.
- Brand Visibility: Gifting branded items in can increase brand visibility. Items like pens, notebooks, or merchandise with a company logo serve as constant reminders of your business. A select few branded items can complement a non-branded gift(s), but should never be the primary gift of the show.
- Employee Morale: Recognizing employees with gifts can boost morale, increase motivation, and improve retention rates. It shows appreciation for their hard work and dedication. Employees also appreciate gifts that support social impact initiatives.
- Client Retention: Sending gifts to clients can help retain their loyalty. It’s a way to express gratitude for their business and can encourage continued partnership.
- Personalized Touch: Thoughtful, personalized gifts show that you value the individual relationship. They create a lasting impression and strengthen connections.
- Celebrating Milestones: Gifting on occasions like anniversaries, achievements, or festive seasons helps celebrate milestones, reinforcing a positive relationship.
- Networking Opportunities: Gifting can open avenues for networking. It’s a gesture that can start conversations and create opportunities for future collaborations.
- Tax Benefits: Gifts that are not company branded items may be tax-deductible up to $25 of the total cost of the gift per person per year. Be sure to speak with an accountant to learn the difference.
Corporate Gift Ideas
- Office Items - Quality pens and pencils, journals, desk accessories and office items
- Tech Gadgets - Wireless chargers, power banks, or Bluetooth speakers, organizing items for tech tools
- Gourmet Snacks - Exclusive fruits, candies, popcorn
- Gift Baskets: High-quality chocolates, gourmet snacks, self-care and beverage combo baskets
- Wine or Spirits: Premium bottles or curated sets (alcohol and/or alcohol-free)
- Desk Organizers: Elegant pen holders, personalized calendars, or leather-bound notebooks.
- Executive Gifts: High-end stationery sets, luxury pens, or leather portfolios
- Spa Sets: Aromatherapy kits, bath bombs, or relaxation sets
- Fitness Gear: Yoga mats, water bottles, or fitness trackers
- Gift Cards: Restaurant vouchers, spa days, or tickets to events
- Subscriptions: Magazine subscriptions, streaming services, or gourmet food and beverage subscriptions
- Personalized Gifts: Engraved items like engraved plaques, custom-made ornaments, or personalized keepsakes
- Artisanal or Handcrafted Items: Unique, locally sourced gifts or handmade artisanal products
Our Journey with Get The Bag's Corporate Gifting Service
Amidst these challenges, we found a solution that aligned perfectly with our values: Get The Bag's Corporate gifting service. What stood out for us was their commitment to sustainability and support for Black Women-Owned Businesses.
Get The Bag offered a curated selection of sustainable gifts sourced from Black Women-Owned Businesses. From eco-friendly stationery to artisanal products, each gift was not just a token but a story. It wasn’t just about gifting; it was about supporting a community, promoting sustainability, and celebrating diversity.
Their service streamlined the process, providing us with a range of options that were both environmentally conscious and thoughtful and unique. The partnership aligned seamlessly with our company's ethos of giving back and supporting sustainability initiatives.
Corporate gifting is more than a seasonal gesture; it reflects values, appreciation, and commitment. The journey of sourcing sustainable gifts for our clients, employees, and partners has been challenging and rewarding. With partners like Get The Bag, we've made a meaningful impact while fostering connections and spreading joy during the holiday season. After all, sustainable gifting isn't just about the gift itself; it's about the lasting impression and positive change it brings.
As another year draws to a close, I'm excited to continue this journey of meaningful gifting, creating connections, and supporting causes that matter.
Guest Blogger: Shanielle Wright
Company: PW Business Support Services
Title: Virtual Assistant & Online Business Manager